Here’s what all my french gal pals are wearing or always have over the years in their closets.
To be honest, I feel these staples are universal and can be adopted or even are already in your closet, but I guess it’s the way of also putting them together for that French Je ne sais qoui
I for one like to mix it up way more than the French do but I’ve also started to see many of the younger women leaning toward a mix of vintage, high street and luxury.
Over the years I have gotten some of the best pieces from thrift shopping here and whenever I go to other smaller towns in France. I once found a Lanvin dress for 10 euros that I still have!
Anyways, here are my tips to have a lil bit of french girl chic wherever you are, compiled from les amies.
A Timeless Trench Coat
- The classic beige trench coat can add a bit of flair to any outfit. Not to mention if properly cut and the right length below the knees it makes for an all year round coat.
- Go for a nice cut at Zara, Burberry or a local brand like Rouje
- BUY ONE HERE from &Otherstories
The It / Statement bag
- French women do not typically shop on a whim as much as our anglophone sisters because here the idea is to invest in a really great quality bag that you can wear all year with many different outfits. Hence the concept of an APC, Jerome Deyfus, Chanel, YSL, Balenciaga, LV, DIOR or Gucci bag says I’m worth it for a French woman.
- Right now the ‘chouchou’ aka favorite young french brand is Jacquemus ( you can see a list of top French Handbag designers here).
- BUY ONE HERE from Staud
- ankle booties be they flat or heeled are a staple of my wardrobe too and they go well with everything from straight leg jeans to summer slip dresses.
- brands like Isabel Marant, Minielli, Jonak, Zara and Rouje always have great booties
- BUY ONE HERE from Steve Madden
That one Blazer
- the epitome of being ‘put together’ made simple is with a fitted or oversize blazer
- vintage or new – it doesn’t matter as long as it looks great on you. Throw it on over a slip dress of white tee and fitted denim.
- BUY ONE HERE from Dries Von Notten
White Button-down shirt
- A crisp white button down is the staple of many. Don’t have one? steal it from your boyfriend’s wardrobe or grab a version at your local thrift store. In Paris Anne Fontaine is the go to designer for women’s white button down. I’ve scoured excellent YSL and Acne white tops in thrift shops here. They go great with a pair of denim or over a dress in the summer.
Little black dress – The timeless LBD
- you don’t have to be after the Parisian girl style to be into LBDs, they are one of the most versatile wardrobe pieces that you can have for years to come. A simple short form fitting black dress or a longer wrap dress are two of my favorite styles for just about every body type.
- BUY ONE HERE from ASTR The Label
High Waist straight leg denim
- waist hugging and booty grabbing pants are flattering on the body and the straight leg leaves room for a cute ankle boots action
- brands like a vintage pair of Levis, Zara or Acne
- BUY ONE HERE from Agolde
Ballet flat or Mocassins
- black Ballerina flats are so easy to go with just about anything
- pack in your bags to change out of heels when your feet gets tired
- two faces are Repetto, Roger Vivier and Chanel
- BUY ONE HERE from ROGER VIVIER
- it’s cliche but true the French love silk scarves. I mean who doesn’t love silk? I myself have a massive collection and was even gifted a Hermes for one of my birthdays (I rarely wear it for fear of making it dirty – but I plan on using it more)
- BUY ONE HERE from Banana Republic
Tote bag/ Straw bag
- the bag of all bags for going to the market, supermarket or the office
- canvas tote bags can be seen everywhere and are now a large walking advertisement for many brands like OFR, Jimmy Fairly, APC, Shakespeare and Co and My Parisian Life
- BUY ONE HERE from Isabel Marant
Soft Cardigans or Cropped Sweaters
- Personally, I shop for xs sweaters, or I wear my son’s old sweaters – he’s outgrown them and they are just the right fit for my small chests. haha
- a great place to find cool cashmere sweaters is the brand FROM FUTURE in Le Marais
- BUY ONE HERE from Sezane