The Belleville neighborhood of paris is still an untapped eclectic part of the city. Some of the best bars and cheap eats are to be found here from Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese to French Bistro. Belleville is slowing becoming a hipsters hang out. Traditionally a major chinese neighborhood, it’s location as being nestled in between the canal and The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont makes it an up-and-coming place where all sorts of people meet to drink, families to live and youngsters to be trendy.
We’ve compiled a selection of things to do and places to eat and drink in Belleville.
1. Have a coffee at Cafe Cherie
– a little bar and coffee spot that offers cheap beers and decent priced coffee. Free Wi-fi. Friendly staff. Massive Terrace. Grungy interior. Easy going crowd of 20 and 30 somethings.
Address: 44 boulevard de la Villette
75019 Paris France
Metro: Belleville, Goncourt, Colonel Fabian (Lines 2 and 11)
2. Stop for a Bun Bo at Asian Soupe
– This new restaurant looks a bit out of place with the traditional dilapidated vibe that most of the Asian and chinese restaurants have in Belleville. But don’t be put off by appearances. I’ve eaten Bunbos in many places in Paris and this was by far one of the best. Clean. Friendly service. No waiting and credit cards accepted.
Address: On Rue de Belleville (in front of Cafe Cherie).
3. Walk over to Chez Robert Smith on a weekend
– A den for young and artisanal designers to showcase their jewelry, fashion and other design creations. In a convivial space that also opens up to Coffee or Tea concerts on most afternoons. Tons of vintage items to be found too, from furniture to plates.
25 Rue de Sambre-et-Meuse 75010 Paris, France
+33 6 68 53 91 84
4. Grab a drink at Aux Folies
– It’s noisy, but the drinks are cheap and the ambiance is young and full of energy.
Address: 8 rue de Belleville
75020, Paris France
5. Experience some street art and graffiti at Rue D?noyez
right beside Aux Folies –
6. Shop at the open air market
– This is one of the best kept secret of the Belleville / Goncourt area. This small market that has one of the most diverse selection of cheese, fruits and produce vendors in the 10th.
On the walkways of Boulevard de Belleville.
Tuesdays & Thursdays from 7am to 2:30pm.
M?tro : Belleville
7. Take in a yard sale
– Check out this website to see the upcoming garage sales. It’s always up to date, but in french.
8. Have a glass of Champagne and Try a the Steak Tartare at Le Floreal
Address: 73 Rue du Faubourg du Temple 75010 Paris, France
+33 1 40 18 46 79
9. Discover Place Sainte Marthe (Place St.Marthe)
– This wonderful tiny square within an cool area is colorful and diverse. Record shops, Wine sellers, italian, african and brazilian restaurants, seamstresses; all line this narrow strip of street called Rue St. Marthe in the H?pital-Saint-Louis neighbourhood.
10. Bargain shop for clothes all along Rue Faubourg Du Temple.
Find a mix of accessible fashion at bargain prices in these tiny often times chinese run stores.
61 Rue du Faubourg du Temple, 75011 Paris, France